65th IFLA Council and General
Bangkok, Thailand, August 20 - August 28, 1999
Participants are invited and provided with transportation to visit Thai libraries of all types, for an insight into library and information services in the cultural educational and information technology context of Thailand. The visits will take place on the afternoon of Wednesday and Thursday. More details will be provided in IFLA Express. Libraries to be visited are listed as below:
List of Host Libraries
- 01 National Libraries Services
- National Library, Samsen Road, Bangkok: National Library Branch, Lad Krabang District, Bangkok
- 02 College Libraries
- Libraries of Rajabhat Institutes: Bansomdej Chaophya; Suandusit; Suansunanta
- 03 University Libraries
- Assumption; Burapha; Chulalongkorn; Hua Shiew; Kasetsart; Mahidol; Rungsit; Srinakarinwirote (Prasanmitr); Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University; Thammasat;
- King Mongkut's Institute of Technology: Lad Krabang Central Library; Thonburi Library and Documentation Centre
- 04 Libraries of Post-Graduate Studies Universities
- Asian Institute of Technology; National Institute of Development Administration
- 05 Secondary School Libraries
- Public School Libraries in Bangkok; Bang Kapi; Bodindecha; Saipanya; Sam Sen; Satriwithaya; Suankularb (Bangkok), Triam Udomsuksa; Wat Dusitaram; Wat Sutthi
- Public School Libraries Outside Bangkok: Suankularb (Nontaburi); Triam Udomsuksa Nomklao
- 06 Private School Libraries
- Assumption Dhonburi; Saint Dominic's; Saint John's
- 07 Public Libraries of Bangkok Metropolitan
- Public libraries of Bangkok Municipality: Bang Khen; Bhasi Charoen; Ladplakao; Nong Chog; Prawase; Wat Ratchada; Soi Phranang; Suan Lumpinee; Wat Anongkaram; Wat Rajaorose
- 08 Public Libraries in the Provinces
- Chalermrajkumari, Ongkarak; (Nakorn Nayok Province); Ratchamankala Bhisek, (Huahin, Prachuab Kiri Khand Province)
- 09 Special Libraries (Banking, Monetary System, Stock Exchange, Science and Technology)
- Monetary System, Banking and Stock Exchange Libraries and Information Centre: Bangkok Bank; Bank of Thailand; Siam Commercial Bank; Stock Exchange Company; Thai Farmers' Bank
- Electricity, science, television, media: Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand; Faculty of Science, Mahidol University; ITV Services; Matichon (Newspaper Publisher)
- 10 Special Libraries (Humanities and Thai Studies)
- Archaeology, Fine Arts: Faculty of Arts, Silpakorn University, (Wang Tha Pra Palace Campus); SEAMEO Regional Centre for Archaeology and Fine Arts in Southeast Asia.
- Thai studies, Thai laws: National Archives of Thailand; Siam Society; Thai State Attorney Museum
Individual Library Visits
Individual visits are welcomed by the Thai libraries and can be arranged on request during the conference week. Please contact the Library Visit Desk in the Centre Hall.
Social and Cultural Activities
A varied programme of social and cultural activities is planned for the delegates attending the 65th IFLA General Conference.
The delegates will have the opportunities to have a glimpse of Thai traditional everyday life, to meet and talk with their colleagues from other countries in an informal and pleasant atmosphere.
- Saturday August 21, 1999 - Evening
- Reception for IFLA Officers (by invitation only)
- Sunday, August 22, 1999 - Evening
- Reception after the Exhibition Opening
- Monday, August 23, 1999 - Evening
- Dinner and Cultural Performance, after the Opening Session
- Tuesday, August 24, 1999 - Evening
- Reception hosted by libraries at the Centre hall
- Wednesday, August 25, 1999 - Afternoon
- Library visits and reception
- Thursday, August 26, 1999 - Afternoon
- Library visits and reception
- Saturday, August 28, 1999
- Sightseeing all day
Official Pre-Session Seminar
The IFLA Professional Board has decided that the Official Pre-Session Seminar will not be held in 1999. Instead, it is sponsoring an international conference organized as a satellitle meeting of the General Conference in Bangkok on the topic "Collecting and Safeguarding Oral Traditions".
Pre-Post Conference Tours
As the Conference will be held during Amazing Thailand Year, special social and cultural programmes have been organized to offer delegates and accompanying persons opportunities to visit, explore and enjoy the beauty of the country. Several tour packages to Thailand's most famous attractions have been arranged. These packages include as the following:
Thailand's historical heritage tour to absorb and appreciate the country's rich culture and civilization tour at Sukhothai and Ayutthaya World Heritage Historical Parks, Chiang Mai, Kanchanaburi, Ban Chieng, and Phanom Rung.
Bangkok landmarks tour to visit well known attractions, such as the Royal Palace, the Temple of Emerald Buddha Image, the national Museum, Old Bangkok street and some of the city's beautiful temples.
Sea and sand tour to enjoy the paradise of pearly sand, crystal clear sea water, sea corals in their natural habitat, and a leisurely lifestyle at the country's famous beaches such as Phuket, Samui, Pattaya, and Hua-him.
Green and forest tour to play golf and to enjoy climbing up hills, under the shades of tropical, spectacular giant trees, to listen to the chirping of cicadas and sweet songs of exotic birds, to swim and be cooled by the waterfalls in the forests.
Accompanying Person Tours
- Monday, August 23, 1999 (3 hours):
- sightseeing around Bangkok, old and new.
- Friday, August 27, 1999 (1 day) :
- National Museum.
- Temple of Recling Buddha Image.
- National Art Gallery.
- Shopping at Naraipan (Thai arts and crafts store).
- A number of other tours will be available at your own expenses. Please contact Tour Desk at the Centre Hall.