MAIN CONFERENCE THEME AND SUB-THEMES
"Libraries of the Future is the overall theme chosen for the 61st
IFLA Istanbul Conference, with the following sub-themes, which
will be coordinated and emphasized within particular areas of
61st IFLA Conference activities.
- Information technology and restructuring of libraries
- Cooperative national and international information networks
- The future of library materials
- Libraries and public education
- Professional communication
For further details of the programme please contact:
Ms. Altinay Sernikli, President
Bahcelievler 06490 Ankara/TURKEY
Fax: (312) 223 04 51
Call for Papers
The professional programme of the conference opens with an
international contributed paper session, where selected speakers
are invited to present major papers of broad international
Please read the accompanying information for details about submitting a paper.
Call for Posters
An area on the conference premises has been designated for the presentation of
information regarding projects or activities of interest to librarians. Presentations may include posters, leaflets, (etc.)
in several of the IFLA working languages (English, French, Spanish, German, Russian), if possible.
Please read the accompanying information for details about submitting a poster.
(Details to be announced)
1. Official Pre-Session Seminar
"Influencing the Decision Makers" to be held in Ankara, August 16-19, 1995.
Local Seminar Coordinator: Dr. O. Tekin Aybas.
By invitation only. For more information, please contact IFLA Headquarters.
2. Workshops and Satellite Meetings to be held in Istanbul, August 17-19, 1995
- History of orientalist society libraries and orientalism
- Libraries for the blind
- Library buildings and equipment
- Medical sciences and Islamic civilization with the emphasis on the role of the library and information
- Multicultural libraries
The Conference will be held at Swissotel The Bosphorus, in the
centre of the city on the European side, situated in a park-like
residential area overlooking the Bosphorus and the Asian coast
of Istanbul. The hotel is close to main business and shopping
districts of the city and near to Dolmabahce Palace. The hotel
has hosted many international meetings. Fully equipped meeting
rooms offer some of the most advanced technical facilities.