As of 22 April 2009 this website is 'frozen' in time — see the current IFLA websites

This old website and all of its content will stay on as archive – http://archive.ifla.org

IFLANET home - International Federation of Library Associations and InstitutionsAnnouncementsSearchContacts

Continuing Professional Development and Workplace Learning Section
(Formerly: Continuing Professional Education Round Table)

Minutes of the Standing Committee Meetings held at 68th IFLA General Conference and Council, 2002 Glasgow, Scotland

  1. The meeting was called to order by Ann Ritchie, Chair
  2. Those present included:

    Gemma Godden: glittergen@02.co.uk
    Barbara Immroth: immroth@gslis.utexas.edu
    Ian Johnson: i.m.Johnson@rgu.ac.uk
    Michelle Lang: mlang@pace.edu
    Lesley M. Moyo: lmm26@psu.edu
    Kornelija Petr: kpetr@pedos.hr
    Ann Ritchie: annritchie@yahoo.com
    Diann Rusch-Feja: d.ruschfeja@in-bremen.de
    Ujala Satgoor: u.satgoor@liasa.org.za
    Jana Varlejs: varlejs@scils.rutgers.edu
    Clare Walker: walker.c@library.wits.ac.za
    Blanche Woolls: bwoolls@wahoo.sjsu.edu
    Irene Wormell: Irene.wormell@hb.se

  3. Apologies: Mary Chobot, John Harvey
  4. Minutes of the Boston meeting were approved as corrected.
  5. Matters Arising from the Minutes
  6. It was suggested that Linda Ashcroft’s annual report (2001-2002), distributed at the Boston meeting, be placed on our web site.


    Ann will supply her copy if it is not in the newsletter.

    Report of the Fifth World Conference: Ian Johnson: Fifty papers were offered and twenty-seven were chosen. Some remained only at the abstract stage. Of the number who had full papers, some could not attend. Twenty papers were presented. As usual, proceedings were published. Ian noted the cost was 47£ each. They are #100 in the IFLA series. Patricia Lazell Ward did a sterling job of editing.

    These papers covered knowledge management, information literacy, globalization, the impact of the environment, and the ethics of information technology (IT). Some speakers, rather than discussing their papers, conducted a discussion or training session. Diann Rusch-Feja and Robert Gordon University’s staff were very helpful in the conduct of the pre-conference.

    One participant noted that speakers generated very lively discussion because of the additional content given during the session. No formal evaluation was conducted. It was believed that short term evaluation looks only at process and the real test is long-term impact.

    It was suggested for the future: 1) Ian sent at least 1,000 brochures to potential participants including a five-year old Betty Stone mailing list, library schools, as well as others. He will share his mailing list. 2) Overfill the program. Ian was congratulated because the technology functioned, the pleasant atmosphere and the good "kind" weather.

  7. Coordinating Board Meeting
  8. Ann Ritchie reported from Division 7. Participants were asked to wear their conference badges at all times. Papers are found on the CD-ROM in our conference bags. Other copies are available upon request. Participants should complete the evaluation forms. All round tables are moving into Sections.


    Executive Committee members asked Ann to check on the composition and assignment of members to the interim standing committee. Diann suggested that those attending the national caucuses be encouraged to nominate candidates for CPDWL. Persons at the meeting were asked to suggest themselves to their organizations and institutions for nomination to CPDWL. A call will be issued for subscriptions. The goal is to attract 100 members.

    We must complete a strategic plan. This will be discussed later in the meeting. Diann will attend the Information Coordinator’s meeting for John Harvey. Newcomers were invited to the Newcomers meeting. Persons in charge of the programs were asked to allow time for speakers to respond to questions. Ann will coordinate this for our Open Session. Speaker rules have been put into place. In Berlin, Open Session programs have been reduced to two hours from two and one-half hours. Standing Committee meetings will be only 1.5 hours.

  9. Reports
  10. Chair: Ann Ritchie:

    CPERT is moving from a Round Table to a Section. We have approved a name change to CPDWL. The medium-term four-year plan has been changed to a two-year plan. During the year, CPERT was asked to add more and to adapt to the IFLA priorities. Ann, Mary, and John were elected to their respective positions. Graham Walton was co-opted to the committees as Communications/Marketing Officer, and he has begun to develop a communications/marketing plan. When Mary could not continue as secretary-treasurer, Graham agreed to serve as secretary and Blanche would continue as treasurer.

    The newsletter has been our main communication device and it won acknowledgement by IFLA. We had a request from another roundtable (Status of Women) to share in a meeting. It was thought that the topic was too far a field and we chose not to co-sponsor. We have had another request to participate in distance education, more closely related to our work. Information Coordinator: John Harvey, who, due to health reasons, was not able to attend, sent his report to be read by Diann Rusch-Feja. His report follows:

    We published two issues of the CPERT Newsletter in the past year averaging 34 pages per issue. Distribution to the 100 or so CPERT members was accomplished via e-mail for the majority and by snail mail for those few members who did not yet have e-mail. In addition to the copies sent to the members, we also send eight copies to IFLA HQ for their records. Each issue of the Newsletter is posted on IFLANET for the entire world to read. We have received payment from CPERT for last year’s issues.

    Each issue included short feature articles, section reports, news items, and a short bibliography of library and continuing education items taken from Library Literature. A book review section was introduced during the past year. In addition, the Newsletter format was upgraded with more use of colour.

    The Newsletter needs more original articles and news items in future issues. However, my attempts to attract that kind of material from the members have been largely unsuccessful so far. Feedback from the members is practically zero. I wonder how useful they find the Newsletter to be?

    In the coming year we hope to upgrade the Newsletter future by using stiffer paper for the covers. We need a chairman’s message in every issue. Further we propose to add a column of websites of interest to libraries and educators.

    I recommend that we rename the Newsletter and call it either: The Bulletin, The Report or The Journal. This will be more appropriate for a section than the present name.

    The CPERT Newsletter was singled out by the IFLA HQ office as being one of the best Round Table newsletters published by an IFLA group.

    The following is my report as Information Officer. We have posted all pages of the Newsletter at IFLANET for all IFLA members to use. In addition, we have posted there all other items sent to us by IFLA members for that purpose. All information officers meetings have been attended at the annual conference. I hope to attend the 2003 conference in Berlin and to continue carrying out my CPERT responsibilities for the coming year. Regards, John Harvey.

    Discussion following this report included posting a link rather than the entire newsletter on IFLANET because of some downloading problems. Irene Wormell requested that her name and her leadership program students in South Africa be added to our e-mail mailing list. The secretary was asked to send a letter to John to say "thank you." It was also suggested that John post a message saying that a new newsletter was available announcing to the CPERT/CPDWL list of its availability. Participants in the Pre-conference were asked to send a paragraph to John about their impressions.

    Treasurers Report: Blanche Woolls:

    In 2001, we received 720 guilders and 520 guilders were paid directly to John Harvey. The San Jose State University Foundation was used to handle the funds for the pre-conference in Chester, Vermont for which they charged us a small fee. When all expenses were paid, they made two deposits in our bank account of $515.40 + $50.53 for a total of $565.93. From this amount, a partial refund was paid to a participant who had paid a full registration but was unable to attend and the Treasurer was repaid the $100 she deposited of her own funds to open the account. The account (22 September 2001) had only 96.37 remaining. At that time the account was opened, the bank issued five free blank checks. Three were used to send funds to IFLA, to Participant Arishee, and for Woolls. Two blank checks are remaining.

    The bank charges CPERT $10 per month to maintain this account although little activity occurs. We are charged a fee for amounts deducted and amounts added.

    It was anticipated that the account would be then sent to Mary Chobot. This did not happen. A check for $104.50 was sent to IFLA; John Harvey was reimbursed for 520 guilders for the 2001-2002 Newsletter expenses. On October 15, we received another $290.52 deposited from IFLA. At the present time, the account has a total of $352.32 which will become $342.32 on September 21, 2002.

  11. Strategic Plan
  12. The plan was revised in line with the new focus of the renamed Section, with the emphasis on the broad areas of profession development and work place learning period. Ann suggested starting with a vision statement that must be written. We also discussed in more detail go for and the actions required for becoming a sustainable section.


    Post to our CEPRT and the IFLA list for consultation.

    We then discussed what the newsletter should do. Should it remain a "news" letter or become a "journal." It was confirmed that we have an ISSN. It was also suggested that articles that might be found in a CPDWL journal would be better placed in other journals that might bring attention to CPDWL. It was decided that we would retain the "newsletter" and the audience was encouraged to send more personal notes.

    It was also suggested that presenters at the pre-conference send information about their power points to John with the additional information they provided to supplement their presentations. It was also suggested that the power point presentations themselves might be posted to IFLANET. CPDWL members should consider offering articles to the either the Journal of Education for Library and Information Science or Education for Information.

    New sections may be given only one-year to get members to show sufficient interest in maintaining sectional status. The need for a longer probation period was discussed. It was also suggested that IFLA members might be given the opportunity to be a part of two sections for a reduced rate. One person asked the purpose of this change. Was it to get a clearer structure for IFLA? To attract new members? Ann, Blanche and Diann will work on wording for an alternative such as "highly recommended that library associations have a CPE responsibility." As an outcome of our discussions at the close of the pre-conference, it was suggested that IFLA needs to develop professional standards for CPD and unless they have a forum such as CPDWL, this won’t happen.

    Michelle Lang’s report was moved to here. See #14.

    Representatives of the Latin American Region then introduced themselves and asked if we had any suggestions for ways we could offer or participate with them that they would like to know. Ann suggested that we might have something to share.

  13. CPERT Open session, Glasgow, Tuesday, 11:10 a.m.
  14. CPERT Open Session, Berlin
  15. Berlin Workshop: Diane Rusch-Feja
  16. Diann mentioned a SET workshop on Lifelong Learning and School Librarians that will be held in Berlin. She suggested a video-conferencing exercise for CPDWL perhaps modelled on the suggestion from the Chester pre-conference where Pam Barron discussed evaluation of a web course, a "how-to-do-it" exercise. Diann was interested in e-learning exercises, perhaps a critique of a previously posted course(s) with interactive discussion outside Berlin, perhaps even Buenos Aires. Ian suggested that technology is great, but that it often doesn’t work as it did not work recently in Poland. Diann suggested the Regional offices contributing space. Ian did not think they had the technology. Blanche suggested perhaps CuSeeMe technology. The time differential across continents might make transmission to Argentina problematic.

    Further discussion was held on a distance learning shared program with the editor of a recent ALISE JELIS issue. It was suggested that we continue Jana’s discussion at the pre-conference on determining quality of CPD efforts. Ian suggested a panel and will help provide names. Ann, Blanche, and Diann will work on the structure.

  17. Next Pre-Conference Plans – Argentina
  18. Ann and Diann are discussing a workshop for Argentina

  19. IFLA Express Items
  20. Several suggestions were made and Diann was to implement the more important.

  21. Election of Office Bearers
  22. Because of the change from Roundtable to Section, elections must be delayed until the Section has been established.

  23. Other Business:
  24. Report from Meeting with Michelle Lang (given earlier on the agenda) she has discussed her project proposal with the Section on Education and Training (SET). Questions of Michelle included, "What language skills do you have in your university?" "Do you have a basic knowledge of culture and library structures in other countries?"

    Michelle reported having visited the Special Library Association site "Make a Wish" where they offered a similar plan but it had little organization to it. She felt this might move into a mentoring situation. Diann proposes that we look forward to Michelle’s proposal and fit it into our plan. We have no expert database in effect. Someone suggested this would take a minimum of three years to establish. Michelle is asking for $1000 to hire a student to help maintain her website. We will provide Michelle with our e-mail addresses so she can call upon the Executive Committee for assistance.

    Ian suggested that she needed to plan how to avoid people becoming disappointed with the quality of the response. She did not think it was possible to control disappointment. She wants to set up an opportunity to share. She wants to establish this forum. Leslie suggested she put a disclaimer "This is an information exchange. We’re trying to help you in the best way we can, but no responsibility can be taken for the information provided." Michelle seemed to feel this was a good suggesting. It was also suggested that she might word this as "experts who are willing to enter into a corresponding relationship that will continue over time. Something simple that will be effective." It was also suggested that Michelle’s proposal should have a quality control. Her funding would be 12 months. The Executive Committee agreed that if SET agrees we will join them. If SET says, "no," we will not be able to help.



Latest Revision: October 08, 2002 Copyright ©
International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions