Academic and Research Libraries Section
Link up with colleagues throughout the world by joining the Section of Academic and Research Libraries
The Section is the international forum for all concerned with academic and research library services.
It provides members with the opportunity to exchange experiences and ideas with colleagues worldwide and is a vehicle for collaborative action.
The Academic and Research Libraries Section promotes and strengthens the development, cooperation and good management of academic and research libraries in all countries. The Section fosters collaboration with national and parliamentary libraries represented in Division 1 and with special interest Sections across IFLA.
The Academic and Research Libraries Section encourages the:
The Academic and Research Libraries Section's programs support library work to:
- integration of the library in the core institutional functions of learning, teaching, research and services;
- research and recognition of the contribution and impact of the library on its various constituencies; and
- involvement of the library into the broader national and international frameworks for information policy.
The section provides opportunities for members to:
- develop and create COLLECTIONS and resources in all formats to support institutional teaching and research missions;
- design, deliver and promote innovative SERVICES that meet user information needs and expectations;
- develop the Library as study, research and intellectual SPACE and ensure a safe and secure physical environment for collections and an inspiring environment for users and staff;
- enhance physical and intellectual ACCESS to the Libraries' collections including digital resources;
- improve and expand programs to PRESERVE research resources in all formats to assure long-term access;
- employ TECHNOLOGY in effective ways to improve access and services;
- attract, retain, develop and reward a diverse and highly skilled STAFF and improve organizational management and communication;
- expand the LEADERSHIP role and visibility of the Libraries in the campus community and in the global academic and professional communities;
- build the RESOURCES to support the collection and access needs of faculty and students; and
- build PARTNERSHIPS within the institution, with other research libraries nationally and globally to enhance the effectiveness and extend the resources of the Libraries for the benefit of communities served.
- participate in international discussions, collaboration and research
- contribute internationally and share those experiences with colleagues at home
- explore different ideas and approaches to providing better university and research library services
- develop professional relationships with colleagues worldwide
The Section organises a very active programme at each of IFLA's Annual Conferences. It has some 500 members and is the largest IFLA Section.
All members receive, free of charge: IFLA Journal, IFLA Directory, IFLA Medium-Term Programme, IFLA Statutes and Rules of Procedure. Other IFLA publications are available at a discount of 25-50%.
Link up with colleagues throughout the world by joining the Section of Academic and Research Libraries. Membership is open to associations and institutions; affiliation is open to individuals.
For further information on joining IFLA and registering for the Section of Academic and Research Libraries, complete the details below and mail, fax or e-mail to:
Ms Kelly Moore, Membership Manager
PO Box 95312, 2509 CH The Hague
Tel +31 70 3140884
Fax +31 70 3834827